Whipps Cross Hospital in the 1930s
In 1930 management of the hospital passed from the Board of Guardians to the Public Assistance Committee of West Ham Borough Council, following the Local Government Act of 1929. The Council added new ward blocks and by 1936, the hospital had 741 beds and had been recognised as a training school for nurses. During the years 1938-1940 four new ward blocks and an isolation ward were built at the eastern end of the original buildings.
Nurse training at Whipps Cross
Student nurse Edith Wainwright's lecture notes show some of what was taught at the nursing school during the 1930s. Here Edith has 'Points to bear in mind in blanket bathing'.
Barts Health NHS Trust Archives, RLHPP/WAI/1
Edith wins a prize
In 1935 Edith was presented with her certificate by the Mayor of West Ham. Her name appears on the list with the other 'The Misses' who trained with her. (All female nurses at this date were required to be unmarried. They lived onsite, and left the hospital and the profession on marriage).
Barts Health NHS Trust Archives, RLHWX/NE/2/3
Running a hospital with over 800 beds required huge volumes of supplies. This requisition book from the hospital's dispensary records the purchase of medical equipment, pharmacy chemicals, and items such as needles and sutures, from a range of suppliers.
Barts Health NHS Trust Archives, RLHWX/PH/1